The Fritschers in Oklahoma
In 1922, Charles Joseph Fritscher and his wife Dorothy moved their family of five children by covered wagon to Harrah, Oklahoma, a small community with a significant Polish population, just east of Oklahoma City, in Oklahoma County. The four oldest children attended school in the local schoolhouse, a large white clapboard building. The Fritscher family was not Polish, but there was a small segment of the population that was German and they became members of the St. Teresa of Avila Catholic parish.
They lived in Harrah only a few years before being encouraged by Dora's sisters to move to Hereford, in Deaf Smith County Texas. They shipped their belongings ahead by train, and piled the family into a Model T Ford for the trip. The children loved being in Hereford near their cousins, but the move was apparently not a good financial choice for Charles and Dora. In 1926, after several moves, Charles and Dora Fritcher, had an auction in Hereford, Texas to sell all but the most necessary of their belongings, and then moved by train with their five children to begin life in a small community called Chickasha, which was the County seat of Grady County.
The family remained there for several generations. They
of the Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, and all five of their children
attended school at the Saint Joseph Academy. After arriving in Chickasha, Mrs.
Barney Lubbers, a long time friend of the family, found them a big two-story house on Florida Avenue. Charles and
his oldest son, Rudolph, went to work at Bitsche's Nursery. Charles worked
there about a year. Then they moved to a house on a hill by Shanoan
Springs Park. From there they moved North of the city of Chickasha about 10
miles out. Charley and another man bought cotton fields and made a good profit.
* Note that the Fritscher family changed to Fritcher some time between the 1920 and 1930 census.
All later records of the Charles and Dora Fritscher family show the name as Fritcher.